Records show that Ale was being sold in the Parish of Monksilver as early as 1550
The thatched cottage opposite now known as Half Moon Cottage, was a pub called 'The Ram' in 1675. Changing it's name to 'The Half Moon' in 1785.
In the 1860s, the Half Moon ceased to trade as a pub when the Notley Arms was built, sometime between 1861 and 1866.
The Coach House appears to have been built first. Housing upstairs the village 'club house' now a skittle ally.
The coach house was home to the well known local Bryant's Coach and taxi service from the 1930's to 1962 when the Bryant family then owned the pub.
The name 'Notley Arms; comes from the local family, who's ancestor Rev 'd George Notley purchased the Combe Sydenham estate in 1796 from the Sydenham family.
The estate of Combe Sydenham remained in the Notley family until the 1950's when it was sold. Members of the Notley family do still own land in the village today.
In the fourteenth century the village was called 'Silver' derived from the Latin word 'Silva', which means wooded area. The stream that runs through the village and alongside the pub garden is called 'The Silver'.
Due to the association of the village with Monks arriving from Monmouthshire to Cleeeve Abby the village became known as 'Silva Monachorum' or 'Monksilver'.